Friday, March 5, 2010

LA & Catalina Island


Best thing about Los Angeles has go to be the weather, it is winter and still I am in shorts/t-shirt and the sun is shining.

Hence why I spent x2 days riding around LA on a push-bike (pedal power). It is a great way for me to learn the road rules...I have been comparing riding a bike in traffic in LA to playing Russian Roulette, and when you still get confused by the road rules it is like pulling the trigger twice each go!

Santa Monica and the beaches are busy even in winter, cant imagine the crowds in summer. The bike path offered some respite from large metal cars. No swimming however...water would be fine its just the sand in between me and the water I dislike. Best thing was the skate park...I spent at least an hour watching them do insane tricks on skateboards.

Palos Verde Drive offered great views and a hill to ride over...why does that appeal?

Adrian has been quite the host showing me around LA...cant believe how big the place is but nothing really took my attention enough to want to get the camera out.

To escape the city and do what I came to the US to do (hike) I headed to Catalina Island.
This island is 15miles off the coast and particularly the interior is free of hustle and bustle other than a few bison and squirrels. 2 days hiking was great except for the minor miscalculation on distances when I forgot that everything is in miles...hence my casual walking distance of 21km was actually closer to 33km...a big days walk!

The Catalina airport was interesting as to get a flat area big enough they just scraped the top off a large hill...this it is known as the airport in the sky!

Heading north today on the road trip to Vancouver.

Ciao

Tim